![]() |
| Image: Facebook |
A bitter dispute has broken out between Adebusola, the partner of late Nigerian boxer Gabriel Oluwasegun “Success” Olanrewaju, and members of his family over the handling of donations and assets left behind after his tragic death in Ghana last year.
Adebusola alleged that funds meant to support her and her children were taken over by the boxer’s relatives, leaving her struggling to cope with daily expenses. Speaking to The PUNCH, she claimed that money recovered from the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA) through the Nigerian Boxing Board of Control (NBBofC) never reached her.
“All the money the NBBofC helped me recover from the GBA, Segun’s family took everything,” she said. “We didn’t receive anything to take care of our basic needs, and my parents have been the ones supporting me. With my children still very young, it has been difficult to take up a serious job.”
She explained that Ghana initially released $3,000 following her partner’s death, but only $1,000 was handed to her, while the remaining $2,000 was locked away under conditions that bar her from accessing it until her children reach adulthood.
“When the accident happened, $3,000 was paid. They took $1,000, while the remaining $2,000 meant for my children was placed under strict conditions that I cannot touch it until they turn 18, which is about 16 years from now,” she said. “How do they expect me to feed and raise the children until then?”
Adebusola also accused the family of selling her late partner’s commercial bus without sharing the proceeds. “They sold Segun’s bus and didn’t give me any money from it,” she added.
However, members of the boxer’s family strongly denied these claims. Although direct contact with them proved unsuccessful, videos shared on TikTok by the boxer’s sister, Anuoluwapo Olanrewaju, painted a sharply different picture.
In one clip, the boxer’s mother, Mrs Agnes Olanrewaju, speaking in Yoruba, alleged that Adebusola had uttered curses against her husband before his fatal trip to Ghana.
“She cursed her husband after he travelled to Ghana without informing her, saying he would not return, and truly, my son did not come back,” she said, pleading for intervention. She also rejected claims of collecting any money linked to her son’s death. “I didn’t take the $3,000. No amount of money can replace my child.”
Anuoluwapo, on her part, challenged Adebusola’s claim to being a wife, insisting that no legal or traditional marriage had taken place.
“We wanted to pay her bride price, but her father said we should wait because she was still in school,” she said. “Since no bride price was paid and no legal marriage took place, how can she be recognised as a wife? She is a baby mama.”
She also disputed Adebusola’s right to make claims over the boxer’s assets, including the bus, arguing that she had no legal standing. According to her, a cordial relationship with the family might have earned Adebusola some entitlements, despite the absence of formal marriage rites.
Furthermore, Anuoluwapo accused Adebusola of failing to show sufficient care while her brother was alive, questioning her public displays of affection after his death.
In response, Adebusola admitted that they were not legally married but said they lived together as husband and wife, with plans to formalise their union after she completed her education.
“We were not legally married yet, but we were living as one family. My parents agreed that once I finished school, we would get married,” she said.
She also accused the family of subjecting her to harassment and emotional abuse, including allegations that she was responsible for her partner’s death.
“They threatened and insulted me and my parents. They even called my children bastards and accused me of killing my husband,” she said, adding that such claims have left her traumatised.
Olanrewaju collapsed during a bout against Ghanaian boxer Jon Mbanugu on March 29, 2025, at the Trust Sports Emporium Boxing Arena in Accra. He later died at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital. His body was repatriated to Nigeria after nearly three months and buried on June 18, 2025, in Ogun State.
As the dispute continues, the welfare of the couple’s two young children—three-year-old Irenitemi Success and two-year-old Oluwatobiloba—remains uncertain, with limited access to funds meant for their upkeep.
#Olanrewaju
#NollywoodTimes
#TrendingNow

No comments:
Post a Comment